Monday, November 10, 2008

Retreat

I went on a retreat in Wisconsin this weekend, and it was a fabulous time. It was windy and quite cold, but very refreshing...and not just weather-wise. While others were getting frustrated at the tiniest bits of snow that could barely pass for air, I was excited. I love the smell of cold air. I love the smell of burning leaves. I love the smell of water (i.e. a lake). All of these things were present this weekend. PLUS, there was a good speaker who was encouraging and had some good insights and new perspectives on several ideas that were familiar to me. Some of these insights came from others who were on the reatreat with me. It was a good time of worship, reflection and communication with God.

I also had a fabulous time with friends - old and new...now the only 'difficulty' is figuring out how to keep connecting with the new ones, as I didn't think to get anyone's email address or phone number...let's hope facebook can live up to it's growing reputation for connecting and reconnecting people! :) We were able to share the discussions after each session, worship time, as well as games, meals, and just sitting around talking and connecting with eachother.

I know this post isn't the most exciting or funny or have any kind of anecdote, but it is worth a lot, I think. Let it remind you to take a look around you and remember that those around you have a different (and worthy) perspective than you do. We all come from different 'places' in life - even if they may seem to be the same on the surface. These differences (which include thought processes, insights, and ideas that I may never think of on my own) can be very instrumental in guiding us on our personal road with God. I encourage you to allow Him to use you and to use those around you. And, that may mean someone you are only in contact with for 2 days ever in your whole life. That doesn't mean they can't be part of the growth process, and it doesn't mean it was a waste of time to talk to them or pray with them. You will see each other again in Heaven and be able to talk for ...well, pretty much as long as you could possibly want... catching up on what God did throughout the rest of your lives on Earth. That's something worth the effort.

How amazing those tales will be, and this past weekend, and these friendships - however short they may end up being - were a part of that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment